Browsing thru the Mid-Century Modernist blog recently, we found some gorgeous images of Dieter Rams 'Snow White' series for Braun.
His groundbreaking designs for turntables, phonographs and other electronics is widely claimed to be the basis for Apple's design sensibility. Check out this Gizmondo comparison if you're curious or skeptical about his influence.
Rams described his spare, elegant and functional style with this motto: Weniger, aber besser which translates as 'less, but better.' He also laid out his guiding design principles, which are commandments all designers should obey:
- Good design is innovative
- Good design makes a product useful
- Good design is aesthetic
- Good design helps us to understand a product
- Good design is unobtrusive
- Good design is honest
- Good design is durable
- Good design is consequent to the last detail
- Good design is concerned with the environment
- Good design is as little design as possible